Thursday, December 20, 2007

A good haul

I went to the library this evening.I mean, no big deal.I've been going to a library ever since I could remember.First at school, and then one close to where I live. Its this little shop like thing, tucked between two others on the main road,something one can easily miss.But once you enter, it is stuffed with books,almost bursting at its seams.Shelves and shelves of books,old and new. a big desk behind which is the librarian whom in call 'Uncle'. The moment he sees me, all the good and new stuff comes out from under that desk.I love going inside, looking around,spending time and picking out books. Today was unhurried. Browsing is my favourite part.Only then shelves that are too high are kind of a pain.Its like this..first I look at the new ones,then go to the heavy reading section,Indian Authors,thrillers and detective novels,chick lit and then Archie comics.I Collect a huge pile and then read the back and segregate.I consider a successful haul with a nice little melange. 2 for heavy reading, 2 chick lit, and a Roald Dahl or James Herriot. I wish they were both still alive.I've read all of Herriot's books, and quite a few of Dahl's.I'm reading a collection of his short stories now. Preferably, I go alone. I hate being hurried with someone standing behind me, asking me to get done soon.
I just finished 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini.It was so good. I wouldn't say its amazing piece of literature, but so well written. I actually cried while reading it.Because although it is fiction, these things happen.'Truth is Stranger Than Fiction' is one of my dad's favourite lines. I picked up the Kite runner now. Hope its good.I've seen it before but somehoe never bothered taking it. I also got Jhumpa Lahiri's 'The Namesake'. I've already seen the movie. A first for me,cause I'm the type who likes the book better. I heard the movie is better from one person..saying its more visual(obviously!!) and nice. After that, a hundred others told me the book is more descriptive(sigh.obviously.again) I figured, I might as well try it out!

So here's to a good week of reading!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I always said that Truth being Stranger Than Fiction is an understatement.

C M Barons said...

Truth may be the stranger of the two, but Fiction is the better passport.
Title- In the Midst Of
Author- C. M. Barons
Format- trade paperback
Size- 274 pgs
Publisher- New Age World Publishing
ISBN- 978-1-59405-098-5/1594050988
Genre- Fiction, Adult

In the Midst of, retro intrigue- offbeat 1970's rewind. Cunning allusions, stand-out characters, absorbing tension- "the makings of a cult classic." Brian can't escape his past, namely, Hollis; badboy with more secrets than Karl Rove. Hollis is the aim, sure as the bull's eye on any Zen-archer's target.

excerpt:
“That’s not my parlance; for lack of better term, yes, I have one.” He led me into the hall, digging in his pocket for a key ring. I wasn’t eager; I’d rather postpone disassembly of the person I thought I knew.
He removed his shoes, importing I do likewise. “I keep it locked because the floor is white. …Don’t want dirt tracked in.” The lights came on; it was exactly as Angie described it.

Related Links
author’s website www.inthemidstof.info
publisher’s website www.nawpublishing